googlead166c37c697d4d3.html Glenn Ashton Author Blog: My Quotes Cupboard: Tony Blair on Question Period preparation

Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Quotes Cupboard: Tony Blair on Question Period preparation

He learned how to handle questions in Parliament a bit better:

I got braver. I realized in the end I had to confront the demons. It was no use praying more the night before, wearing the same shoes (I wore the same pair of Church’s brogues every PMQ for ten years) or hoping I would get by. I decided to analyze it, and try to work out how to do it to the best of my ability... I took a melatonin pill the night before so that I got at least six hours’ sleep. I made sure I had a proper breakfast, and just before the ordeal began, I would eat a banana to give myself energy... I face up to what the fear was. The fear was being made to look like a fool, or simply being outwitted. The way to prevent it was not so much mastering the facts, but mastering the strategy of debate... I discovered the force of humour, of light and shade.


A Journey: My Political Life by Tony Blair Alfred A. Knopf 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment

Some more of my random posts for you:

/* PLACE FOR SURVEY MONKEY POPUP QUIZ JUST BELOW HERE */ /**/ /* NETWORKED BLOGS BIT FOR IT TO QUALIFY */